In Memory of Dr. Moustafa T. Chahine, 1935-2011

Dr. Moustafa T. Chahine

The founder of the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder Mission, Team Leader Dr. Moustafa T. Chahine, leaves behind a distinguished legacy of science, discovery, mentorship, and deep friendship. Beyond a career rich in accomplishment, Mous was a dear friend and colleague to so many over his 50-plus-year career at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Please kindly leave your thoughts and acknowledgments below. These messages will be gathered up and presented to Mous’ family at a later date.

For more on Mous, visit:
Mous Chahine Memorial Web Page
Best Views on Climate: Chahine’s Vision Lives On Through AIRS

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

71 Responses to “In Memory of Dr. Moustafa T. Chahine, 1935-2011”

1. Ramesh Kakar Says:
    March 28th, 2011 at 1:15 pm

It was an honor and a privilege to work with Dr. Moustafa Chahine. I met him shortly after I joined JPL as a NRC Post-Doc in 1972. He became my Section Manager in 1975 and my Division Manager in 1978. I studied his “Relaxation Method” and used it in 1975 to analyze the 115 GHz CO line and retrieve the distribution profile of this gas in the atmospheres of Venus and Mars. I had the opportunity to work with him much more closely after his “Grating Spectrometer” approach was selected for AIRS and after I was appointed to the NASA Program Scientist position for the AIRS instrument and the Aqua satellite. Mous was an outstanding leader an outstanding scientist and a wonderful human being. We will continue to reap the benefit of his insight for many years. I will sorely miss him.

2. Alan Buis Says:
    March 28th, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I had the privilege of working with Mous the past decade in JPL Media Relations. His excitement in his work was truly contagious. I always appreciated the time he spent with me sharing his knowledge, and his extraordinary kindness and professionalism.

In December 2009 I worked with Mous and the AIRS team on a press briefing for the Fall American Geophysical Union meeting on recent breakthroughs in greenhouse gas, weather and climate research from AIRS. The look of pride on Mous’ face as he briefed a room of media on the team’s accomplishments is a memory that will forever be burned in my mind.

A job well done. A life well lived. For all you did, Mous, thank you. We will not forget you.

3. Deborah Vane Says:
    March 29th, 2011 at 9:32 am

Mous was one of the most remarkable and kindest people I have ever known, and I was so lucky to be given the opportunity to work with him. He opened doors for me and mentored me; I would not be doing what I am doing today if not for him. In everything that he did, he made positive and often enormous contributions. And he demonstrated that you can be brilliant, accomplished and successful and still be kind, thoughtful and generous — qualities that are often under-appreciated. I will miss him greatly.
    Deb

4. Tom Pagano Says:
    March 30th, 2011 at 8:23 am

It was truly a honor to work with Mous. He was a Giant in the field of remote sensing and one of the nicest people I’ve known. I had the honor of accompanying Mous on many business trips and was amazed at the number of influential people he knew from around the world. Yet he was always generous with his time to mentor and talk to anybody about what is important in their lives. He cared so much for the well being of NASA, JPL and the people that make it work. His legacy lives on in the AIRS project and the people he helped throughout the field of remote sensing. We will miss Mous dearly and remember the brilliant life he had and hopefully learn from him how to care for our planet and for each other.

5. Eugenia Kalnay Says:
    March 30th, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I met Mous in 1969, when I was a very pregnant student and he was a postdoc with Jule Charney, my advisor. We both became first time parents at about the same week, and this somehow bonded us. Even at that time I was totally taken by his enthusiasm for science and his kindness. His vision about AIRS, the magnificent instrument, was powerful, and I tried to push for its use at NCEP. A few years ago I heard his talk at the AMS describing the AIRS retrievals of CO2 with Ed Olsen, and after the talk I asked him if our group (Inez Fung, Junjie Liu, Ji-Sun Kang, and myself) could assimilate these retrievals in our LETKF Kalman Filter. He generously offered access to the retrievals together with a lot of hand-holding, and Junjie assimilated them very successfully, with exciting results. This was just a small example of his generous support for anything that had a potential impact on science.

6. Julie Wallace Says:
    March 30th, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I met Mous only on a couple of occasions at AIRS Science Meetings in Greenbelt. He was always very kind and gracious, and supportive of my work. I am honored to have met him and am indebted to him for his work with AIRS. Thank you Mous.

7. Scott Hannon Says:
    March 30th, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I feel privileged to have worked with Mous as part of the AIRS science team.
    AIRS exists in large part because of his drive and dedication to make it
    happen, and to make sure it works well. And AIRS has turned out to be
    a wonderful instrument. Mous was supportive of my work on the AIRS RTA,
    and listened carefully to caveats and recommendations regarding its use
    for his CO2 retrievals. I was impressed by his cleverness in coming up
    good ideas for potential work-arounds for some of the problems. I was
    also impressed by his generosity in taking time during a business trip to
    NASA HQ to stop by UMBC to give a special seminar to students on
    remote sensing. I will remember Mous for his accomplishments, his
    talent, and his classy, friendly persona.

8. Xun Jiang Says:
    March 30th, 2011 at 6:20 pm

It was a pleasure for me to work with Mous as a Caltech Postdoc from 2006 to 2008. We worked on the AIRS CO2 project. He was a very nice person and a great mentor. I miss the time when we discussed research together. He always gave very good advices on the research and encouraged me. I also enjoyed talking with him during the telecon and meetings. It is very sorry to loss him so suddenly. I will miss him a lot.

9. Joanna Joiner Says:
    March 31st, 2011 at 7:03 pm

It was a great privilege and honor to have had the opportunity to work on the AIRS project, to attend AIRS science team meetings, and to learn a great deal from Mous and others on the AIRS team. My first job in Earth science was to work on early versions of the AIRS/AMSU temperature, water vapor, and ozone retrievals years before the launch of Aqua. Mous was always very excited to see the results of our simulations and was very supportive of our work. It was even more exciting to finally see the beautiful AIRS spectra after launch, to feel the excitement generated at science team meetings, and to get to work on experiments that showed that AIRS had a positive impact on weather forecasts. The great and continuing achievements of the AIRS team are a testament to Mous’ dedication, leadership, and vision. Thank you, Mous Chahine.

10. Harold Yorke Says:
    April 1st, 2011 at 9:27 am

I, like many others, was deeply saddened by the news of Mous Chahine’s passing. Not only was Mous an outstanding scientist, a colleague, and a wonderful person, but he was an untiring supporter of and advocate for excellence in science, for scientists in general, and for JPL’s Science Division in particular. As JPL’s Chief Scientist, Mous helped ease my 1998 transition from a tenured university professor in Germany to a JPL scientist - for me at the time a double-whammy culture shock. Over the past 13 years he maintained an active interest in my science (astrophysics) and has given me excellent advice on a multitude of topics, mostly related to science advocacy. I am thankful for the opportunity to have known and worked with Mous. I will miss him.

11. Lee-Lueng Fu Says:
    April 1st, 2011 at 9:54 am

The following was a message sent to my oceanographic colleagues at JPL on March 25.

Dear friends and colleagues,

It took a day to have the sadness to sink in my soul for the passing of
    Mous. For many of you who are too young to appreciate Mous’ role at JPL,
    he was truly the founding father of the oceanography program at the Lab.
    Working closely with Stan Wilson at NASA HQ, he realized the great
    potential of satellite oceanography after the demonstration from Seasat in
    the late 70s and early 80s and established an oceanography group in
    Division 32, for which he was the founding Manager. He provided personal
    guidance and mentoring to those of us who were luckily hired then on how
    to succeed in a brand new uncultivated field. He was full of vision and
    charisma and possessed an uncanny ability to instill self-confidence and
    high hopes to others. Under his continuing support and encouragement
    during the tenure as the Lab’s Chief Scientist, the JPL oceanography
    program thrived and flourished with TOPEX/Poseidon, NSCAT/QuikSCAT, Jason,
    as well as ECCO….. His unique talent as a scientist, administrator, and
    a mentor will be very hard to match. It is very hard to accept the fact
    he is gone so suddenly after just celebrated his 50th anniversary of
    service at the Lab.

Lee

12. Michael Hecht Says:
    April 1st, 2011 at 10:00 am

So many reminiscences of Mous describe a particular wisdom he imparted to us that propelled us forward in our careers like a vigorous stroke of a canoe paddle. Mous imparted his gift to me in 1991, as I neared the end of my first decade at JPL. I was honored to be chosen for a Lew Allen Award for Excellence in recognition of a pair of publications outside my assigned research area. As he handed me the plaque at the ceremony, Mous leaned over and whispered, “this is for cutting through the molasses around here and getting something done!” The metaphor has stayed with me - The JPL molasses, while sweet and nourishing, coaxes us into a methodical cadence designed to minimize what we euphemistically call “anomalies.” Yet the accomplishments I’m most proud of have come as a result of embracing those anomalies, following a muse to a surprise ending. Thank, you Mous, for that early encouragement.

13. Philip Ardanuy Says:
    April 1st, 2011 at 10:55 am

A definition of a hero is “a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.” Mous stands out as a true hero, both for his vision and accomplishments in the field–and, frankly, Mous has accomplished science that others thought impossibe, and for his warm and welcoming personality. Mous was never too busy to see a visitor, always had a smile and a welcome, and served as an inspiration for all of us fortunate to have met him and/or worked with him.
    Phil

14. Susan Kulawik Says:
    April 1st, 2011 at 11:20 am

Dr. Chahine was the PI of a different research group than mine. There was often friendly rivalry but also camraderie as we faced and tackled measuring atmospheric CO2 and figuring out what steps to take to make a difference scientifically and for the planet. I most admired his accomplishment of the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS)– an astonishing instrument, almost 9 years in space. And also that he never stopped asking questions and tackling problems.

15. Murthy Gudipati Says:
    April 1st, 2011 at 11:31 am

Soon after I joined JPL over four years ago, I noticed an elderly gentleman with some papers in his hand, musing on something and walking slowly. This looked contrary to the general observations that I made: everyone busy going from one meeting to the other. After sometime I could track his path from behind the Bldg 183 through its elevator to Bldg 180, as I saw him at different locations at different times.

It became clear to me who he was when I applied for a spontaneous R&TD grant and I had an appointment with Moustafa Chahine to discuss the grant. We had a very pleasant discussion. Academic and wise words that I heard from Mous remained in my mind since then. The same manners and the same wisdom were my experience when we encountered each other on the corridor of the Chief Scientists’s Office two days before Mous passed away.

Over the years Mous’s family became a part of our family’s experience as well. Three members of our family ware glasses. Our visits to La Canada Eye Care typically involved more discussions than a prescription from Dr. Tony Chahine. Our daughters discussed how knowledgeable Mrs. Chahine is in European and American History. Soon we realized that Mous and his family are an integrated part of JPL and its surrounding community.

16. Rao Mangina Says:
    April 1st, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I am truly saddened by Mous’s death. I had a good chat with him the day before his departure from this world. I got a timely support from him for my research here at JPL. He was an amazing and finest person. He was always so kind and considerate to all of us in promoting our ideas at every opportunity. His passing will not only leave a void in our lives, but in the hearts of everyone who knew him. He was not only an outstanding scientist but also a great human being. Mous’s memory will always remain deep within my heart. “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count; it’s the life in your years.” - Abraham Lincoln.

17. Rob Stirbl Says:
    April 1st, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Dr. Chahine’s passing was a great shock and left me deeply saddened.

He was always genuinely welcoming and a straight shooter since he had scientific facts rather than politics on his side.

Meeting him on the JPL or Caltech Campus, he was never too busy for a collegial interchange or a warm smile and a bright wave of recognition.

He was and will ever remain in my mind’s eye as the best and brightest example of what JPL and Humanity can achieve if we wish to build together and follow his kind & simple suggestion to “Always Make Progress…”

18. Glenn Orton Says:
    April 2nd, 2011 at 7:09 am

As a graduate student in Planetary Science at Caltech in the early 1970’s I became acquainted with Mous first through Fred Taylor, with whom I was consulting on how to interpret thermal infrared data from ground-based and Pioneer 10 and 11 observations. I was looking for an alternative to devising a series of ad hoc forward models, a subset of which would create a close match to the data, or to reliance on a set of radiative-convective equilibrium models that had been generated before the Pioneer mission - none of which were coming close to matching the data. Fred suggested a way forward that was the brainchild of another JPL scientist, a person whose name I could barely pronounce! What I later called the “nonlinear weighted Chahine approach” became from that point embedded in much of my code, and the word “retrieval” ended up substituting for “model” in much of my work, all the way from those Pioneer observations to current work on retrievals of temperatures in the atmospheres of the “ice giants”, Uranus and Neptune, from Spitzer Infrared Spectrometer (IRS) data.

When I joined JPL as an NRC postdoc under Fred’s mentorship in 1975, I had a chance to interact with Mous more often. He was delighted that his approach was enabling insights to planetary atmospheres far from the Earth. As a section manager, he was always ready with sage advice on my career. Always a discreet person, it was at a Holiday Party, two weeks before the event, that we allowed him to announce the impending wedding of me and another former NRC postdoc, Linda Brown, after working out that JPL rules weren’t so restrictive that we couldn’t work in the same division. It was also in his role as section manager that Mous pushed through the paperwork to sole-source me as a JPL employee, having been awarded an Interdisciplinary Scientist role in the Galileo mission as a contractor after my 2-year NRC position had been completed.

It was Mous who encouraged me to apply for Senior Research Scientist status, kept me informed of the opportunities for SRS “bridge” funding, and encouraged me and my immediate colleagues to try for Research and Technology Development “Spontanous Concept” funds when we had what we thought were bright ideas we wanted to try out.

A recent example of how just a few words from Mous could change an entire attitude, it was on July 20 of 2009, when I and my NPP Postdoc, Leigh Fletcher (now a Glasstone Fellow at Oxford) - together with a cadre of several summer interns - had spent 2 am to 9 am observing Jupiter, operating 3 instruments at NASA’s Infrared Telescope Facility. We were breathless, because we had just witnessed the “smoking guns” that confirmed the well-founded suspicions of an amateur astronomer, Anthony Wesley of Australia, that some external object had impacted Jupiter’s atmosphere (the once in a few hundred years event probability had just become once every decade and a half)! Mous, in his early morning rounds of the second floor of building 169, walked by and asked routinely how things were going. We excitedly pointed out what we’d just observed and its significance. His quiet and logical comment as “Well, you should make a press release right away, no? Think about it.” Leigh and I looked at each other and realized that we weren’t getting any sleep soon. It was not long after that 20-hour day that we were interviewed by dozens of print, radio and TV outlets, Leigh got a nice breakthrough in his career by appearing on NPR’s “Science Friday”, and reporters were camped out on Anthony Wesley’s lawn for a week, with the public getting a great insight into how active the outer solar system can really be. So, it’s true - a few words from a wise person can make a lot of things happen!

I will always remember you, Mous; your presence has woven its way through the tapestry of my personal and professional life at JPL.

19. Edward Olsen Says:
    April 3rd, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Mous was an extraordinary individual of indomitable spirit, clear vision and insatiable curiosity about the universe around him. He was also a wonderful, civil and patient human being who welcomed all who wished to join him as colleagues. He was trapped in a frail body, but his spirit carried him through to a long career yielding one outstanding accomplishment after another.

As Deborah Vane pointed out, he was an opener of doors and a noble mentor. JPL and Division 32 in particular owe much to his unstinting and visionary contributions to their growth and (for the latter) existence.

I had the enormous privilege of working closely with Mous for the past 8+ years. His mind was always in motion—it was impossible for him to stop. He would walk into my office early Monday morning and pick up the conversation from where it left off late Friday afternoon, but enriched with all the thought he had put into a problem during the intervening weekend. Mous lived by his motto: “Make Progress Every Day”.

I shall miss him deeply, and will long still be listening for that tap-tap-tap of his footsteps in the hallway coming toward my office door at 7:30 AM each weekday.

20. Bonnie Buratti Says:
    April 3rd, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Mous was the soul and the conscience of JPL. Practically every scientist at JPL has a story to tell about Mous, and in each one Mous is revealed as a personal mentor and savior, sort of that all-wise, knowing uncle we have (or wish we had). I have many memories of sitting in Mous’s Office when he was Division Manager or Chief Scientist, with seemingly insurmountable problems. He would carefully deconstruct the issue, and with a few phone calls magically make everything better. When I held the position of group supervisor, Mous worked with me to help scientists in my group, whether they had funding problems, career problems, or just needed another advocate. Mous was a treasure in our midst, a person that comes along only once in a generation. May his spirit live on, as we strive to be the very best people and the very best scientists we can be.

21. Philip Rosenkranz Says:
    April 4th, 2011 at 7:47 am

As a graduate student, I had read some publications by Mous, but first met him in 1971 or 72 while I was a post-doc at JPL. Like most good advice, “Always make progress” wasn’t easy to follow; but Mous’ brilliance and dedication to earth science made him an inspiring leader for the AIRS team.

22. Josette Bellan Says:
    April 4th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

The reason why Mous’ untimely departure is felt with so much poignancy at JPL is that he was more than a great scientist. Above all, Mous was a wonderful human being who leaves an unparalleled legacy of goodwill, who had an intelligent understanding of the importance of each individual as a person rather than a cog into a system, and who helped everyone turn scientific potential into achievements. Everyone came to Mous to have his/her problems solved, and he disappointed no-one. In his own ‘magical’ way, Mous cheerfully solved problems, and transformed impassable roads with boulders into paved roads. Mous had an enormous dignity and moral standing which came from a combination of self respect and respect of others. He had a phenomenal memory and with his departure I fear that a substantial part of JPL’s institutional memory is lost. His spirit though is with everyone who came in contact with him, and it should inspire all of us to promote his legacy in the future. This is what he would have liked to see.

23. Robert M. Nelson Says:
    April 4th, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Dear Colleagues:

I entered JPL 34 years ago to begin my postdoctoral studies. The first scientist I met that day was my first Section Manager, Sam Gulkis. After talking things over, Sam took me down the hall to meet the Division Manager. It was Mous Chahine. We chatted awhile, and then Mous asked me if I had any questions. I replied by noting that I had spent my entire life in academic institutions and I wanted to know what differences I should expect at JPL.

Mous said, “Think of Sam as your Department Chairman and me as the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Letters, publish your research, and you will do well at JPL.”

Later Mous went on to become Chief Scientist. He was replaced by Charles Elachi. On Charles’ first day at the new job I recounted to Charles what Mous had said to me. I asked Charles his views on Mous’ vision. Charles replied that he wholeheartedly agreed with Mous’ sentiments.

I later asked this question of Dan McCleese when he became Division Manager, he expressed the same enthusiasm that Charles did.

Later, I asked this to Rich Zurek and got the same response.

Mous was a leader who will be deeply missed.

He was my friend.

Bob Nelson

24. Dong Wu Says:
    April 4th, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I wasn’t born when Mous started his career at JPL. It was very impressive when seeing him sitting next to the computer with AIRS algorithm developers. There were a lot of doubts how he handled cloud contamination in the AIRS retrieval. But if something works, it must come from these moments. I don’t see many PIs doing this when their instruments are in the sky. Certainly, Mous set an example.

25. Tom Nolan Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 2:57 pm

During my Orientation Day when starting at JPL, Mous was one of the presenters, and it was his inspirational passion that I “caught”. He exuded such enthusiasm and excitement about the work that we do here. May Mous’ “fire” be passed on from one generation to the next; and if so, there are no limits to our successes.

26. Cinzia Zuffada Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

One of the fondest memories I have of Mous relates to his involvement with the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, who had invited him to give a talk some years ago. The meeting’s proceedings had been issued in Italian, and he had run a Google’s translation into English of one of the articles. He had asked me to look it over, to make sure it all flowed, and I had revised it extensively since the translation did not seem to make much sense. Mous was so appreciative of my work, and he ended his email to me by saying “now I know that humans will always be needed, and computers will never totally replace us”

27. Ara Chutjian Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I had many meetings with Mous over the decades about personnel, science, and proposals. In all discussions he expressed his great humanity, his capacity to understand, and an ability to make difficult items appear quite simple. He was brilliant, full of feeling, and wise. In discussions about research topics and directions, he would say to me slowly in that soft, low voice, “Ara, where is the SPARK, there has to be a spark!”

Bravo to you, Mous, for having borne the spark in yourself, thereby giving it to others.

28. Qinbin Li Says:
    April 6th, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I had the privilege to work with Mous from 2006 to 2008 while I was at JPL. Mous guided me into analyzing his then novel retrievals of AIRS CO2. He convened a weekly AIRS CO2 meeting that had Ed Olsen, Luke Chen, Xun Jiang, myself, Jim Randerson of UC Irvine, and Yuk Yung of Caltech. To this day I still remember vividly the exciting and fruitful discussions led by Mous. I once asked, ‘Mous, you are so accomplished yet still as driven as ever on your scientific pursuit, why?’. Smiling as always, Mous said, ‘I am learning something new everyday’. Mous, you will always be in our hearts.

29. Jonathan I. Lunine Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 1:43 am

Mous was a great encouragement to me, especially during the early part of my career, but also throughout the more than 25 years I’ve been fortunate to have known him. Mous gave Earth and Space Sciences a human and compassionate face, while at the same time he pursued his science with originality and rigor. I will miss him.

30. Adrian Segura Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 7:36 am

You can evaluate one’s character quite easily by noticing when one is kind. Mous exhibited kindness even when he did not have to; he was kind when there was nothing guaranteed in return. He treated everyone with the same gentile manner and had a genuine interest in his or her lives.

Mous was an instant hit in my mind from the moment I met him. A handshake and engaging open-ended questions to someone who simply reviewed AIRS documentation for external/public release considerations. He didn’t have to be personable with me because I was just a low level cog in the machine. He not only attended my farewell party, he stood up and spoke of my hard work and how it helped AIRS, and he gave me a gift: a framed picture with the words “Always Make Progress.” The very first item I put up on my cubicle wall when I returned to the Lab.

Mous helped me decide to seek out science as an academic and career path (outside my humanities background). He offered to write a letter of recommendation for graduate school, assuring the professors I was more than capable of succeeding in the world of Environmental Science. He told me I could blaze trails in the field and bolstered my resolve as a result.

Mous never asked for a single thing in return; only offered his help.

The week of his passing, I had an exam in, of all things, atmospheric science and I couldn’t help but feel that Mous was there telling me to “Always Make Progress” and not underestimate CO2. The results of the exam were indicative of Mous’ character, his drive, and what he represented to the Lab: perfection.

Thank you, Mous. You’ve taught us all about the value of seeking new challenges, attacking adversity with a smile, and the importance of being kind to one another. I promise to “Always Make Progress” wherever I am.

31. Emily Calbes Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 8:21 am

I would like to extend my sincerest condolences to the family of Dr Chahine and to the entire AIRS team for their heartbreaking loss. May his goodness continue to linger and bring inspiration to all of us. God Bless the AIRS team and the Chahine family.

32. Robbie Vogt Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 9:32 am

While I was on leave from the Caltech campus and serving as JPL’s first Chief Scientist, Mous’s support was invaluable in helping me to understand and serve the Lab.

Later on, when Lew Allen proposed to appoint Mous as the first Chief Scientist coming from the Lab itself, I enthusiastically supported his decision.

After I returned to campus and served as Division Chair and as Provost, as well as for the years after that, Mous and I continued our dialogue. At all times I found him a reliable, trustworthy, and effective spokesman for the Lab.

I leave it to others to commemorate Mous’s distinguished scientific and administrative career; but from my personal experience, I knew him as a kind, considerate, thoughtful man of integrity, and I consider myself privileged to have had him as a friend. I shall miss him.

33. Tom McCord Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 9:39 am

Mous entered my experience during my graduate studies at Caltech 1964-1968. He reappeared often in my close association with JPL until this time. Mous created a warm and friendly feeling, which he seemed to reciprocate. One could take problems, no matter how sensitive, to him and expect a helpful discussion. Mous would do what he could to help and I always felt better having discussed it with him. Even just running into him on the mall or in an elevator, as I did a month or so ago, made me feel happier. His sudden passing caused to me to stop and think for a while. JPL and the science community lost a major asset and many of us lost a good friend.

34. Richard Woo Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 10:26 am

JPL’s greatest asset is its people, and Mous was a jewel. As Chief Scientist, Mous genuinely cared about the science at JPL and the welfare of its scientists who faced constant challenges. My research gave rise to difficulties because it produced results that questioned established and cherished beliefs. Mous was always understanding and concerned, and willing to help whenever possible. This is why one of the saddest days in my 47 years at JPL was when I learned of his loss. Last year I wrote an article for the general public describing my contentious research. A few months later, I was on the JPL mall. Mous was walking away but must have caught sight of me from the corner of his eye as he made a beeline towards me. He just wanted to tell me in person that he was thrilled for me. It was quintessential Mous, enthusiastic, smiling broadly and speaking from the heart. This was the last time I saw Mous, and I will always remember it, because it was one of my happiest days at JPL.

35. Paula Lonergan Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Dr. Chahine attended a few seminars here at KISS. He was always friendly to me. I’m sorry about his death.

36. Jon Hamkins Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

For nearly each of the last ten years, Mous would meet with me to recommend who from JPL should speak at the next Caltech Alumni Seminar Day. He would come prepared with a written, prioritized list, and we would have a great time talking about science at JPL. His kindness, generosity, and sincerity were impressive, and at a level I rarely see in a person of his stature. He was a true gentleman.

37. Pierre Morel Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 12:51 am

Mous Chahine was a close scientific associate and a personal friend of mine for a quarter century, since we enlisted his help to steer a major effort of the World Climate Research Program to investigate the thermodynamics of the global atmosphere. Dr. Chahine was not a meteorologist himself, nor a practitioner of numerical weather prediction, but his broad scientific culture made him well aware of the central role of the atmospheric heat engine in driving the Earth climate. More than many experts in the individual processes that make up this engine, he saw the need for an integrated study of the overall cycling and transformations of energy and water in the global atmosphere. More than many academic leaders, he saw the need for a foundation of global observations to sustain the theoretical investigations and he had the practical knowledge to do about it. For all these reasons, Mous Chahine was a great climate scientist. I mourn his passing away.

I hear that Mous was busy at work in his office at JPL on the very last day of his life. We may take solace in the fact that he was able to actively pursue to the very last his scientific interest in global observations. I can testify that this was precisely what he desired most and I am grateful to his JPL colleagues who understood and supported his efforts.

38. Tom Vonder Haar Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 4:45 am

Mous Chahine was a good friend, an engaging leader in our science and a thoughtful and respected man.
    I enjoyed working with him for more that 30 years from the early Nimbus experiments through the founding of the Global Energy and Water Experiment ( GEWEX ) of the World Climate Research Programme and into today’s studies of global water vapor variability. Recently I was able to congratulate and celebrate with Mous on the occasion of his election to the National Academy of Engineering !
    His name and signature are inscribed in the Book of Members with those of all Academicians. The very first signature is that of Abraham Lincoln, founder of the U.S. National Academies, and that will always remind me of Mous Chahine’s many contributions to our nation and the world.

39. Frank Estabrook Says:
    April 9th, 2011 at 10:34 am

I could not have had my research career at JPL without the friendship, guidance and support of Mous Chahine.

We got to know one another in the early 1970’s when he became a Section Chief, and later Division Manager in Bldg. 183. We spoke often of our respective research areas, of families, of world events, of survival at JPL!

In the decades since, we never encountered one another without my receiving his warm and genuine greeting “How ARE you?’, and then “GOOD!” Through them all he advised and guided, and was of essential help on many occasions, sometimes I am convinced without my knowing it. In his way the most subversive of managers, he saw JPL as a center of excellence defined by its family of mutually supportive colleagues. I was so fortunate to benefit from his efforts to realize that vision.

40. Yuk Yung Says:
    April 10th, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I first met Mous around 1975, just after my Ph.D. and before I came to work at Caltech. Since then we interacted closely as his climbed up the ladder at JPL from scientist to section manager, PI of AIRS, and Chief Scientist (he held the last position for more than a decade). Mous is a rare combination of an excellent scientist, an efficient manager, and a visionary leader.

I owe him at least two things. First, he supported many of my outlandish ideas through the President’s Fund (previous incarnation of DRDF) and DRDF. That was important for my branching out from my Planetary Science base to Earth Science. Second, we worked closely on the CO2 retrieved from AIRS data, an effort that became a major fraction of our careers in the last five years.

We last met on 10 April at our weekly CO2 meeting. I said I was going away to Hong Kong and Taiwan for a two week visit. He said he would take off for two weeks to have minor surgery. Two weeks later I came back but Mous was gone. I am saddened at the transience of life and the passing of a good friend and collaborator of more than 35 years. His intelligence, insight, wisdom, humor and serenity will be missed by all of us who had the privilege of knowing him.

41. Richard Goody Says:
    April 11th, 2011 at 8:23 am

When I first got to know Mous he was Manager of the newly created Earth and Space Science Division. It fell to him to create a strong position for science in what, since its inception, had been principally an engineering institution. To bring this about required negotiating skills that are rare amongst scientists. Mous avoided confrontation as unproductive; his feelings, if they were involved, were hidden behind a polite smile; if he could not make his point through the front door, there was always a side door or a back door that might be useful. Mous managed to bring science into the front line at JPL, a position he consolidated when he was subsequently Chief Scientist. He was the architecht of science, as it now is, at JPL, at least the equal of all other NASA science enterprises and he is owed a debt of gratitude by all who have followed. I am personally indebted to him for his hospitality during my early years of retirement, and for the first appointment as Distinguished Visiting Scientist at JPL.

I also remember Mous’ unique science contributions. He was a master of ingenious ways to extract information from data using analytical mathematical techniques. It was only a few weeks before he died that we were discussing some of his early work on cloud clearing. And it was not long before that I was listening to ingenious ideas for extracting precise information on carbon dioxide from AIRS spectra. When no longer committed to management he was totally dedicated to this, his last science project.

In Moustapha Chahine JPL has lost a pillar of its science community.

42. Kevin Trenberth Says:
    April 12th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

As current chair of the GEWEX Scientific Steering Group I wish to acknowledge the huge debt the community has from Mous’ efforts as the first chair and his careful shepherding and championing of GEWEX to further knowledge of water and energy cycles. At the recent AMS meeting in January we had a special session on the WCRP projects and I gave a talk on the plans for future directions of GEWEX. We spotted Mous at the back of the hall and I was pleased to be able to acknowledge his presence. We chatted briefly afterwards and he expressed pleasure in the directions of GEWEX and especially the plan to retain the acronym even as we change the name somewhat. It has always been a bit of a problem that GEWEX was an “Experiment” and the plan to change this to “Exchanges” is one that he said he wished he had thought of. Mous: thankyou so much.
    Kevin Trenberth

43. Wesley Huntress Says:
    April 13th, 2011 at 9:46 am

Mous was the living definition of a gentleman and scholar. He was my mentor when I was at JPL and an enabler of my own career. But he was also a very close friend and I loved him. There will never be another like him.

44. Matthew Mori Says:
    April 13th, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Dr. Chahine was one of the first to welcome me to the Lab back in 1998. I got to be a grumpy, burnt-out admin over the years, but hearing a talk with Moustafa Chahine never failed to inspire.

45. Warren Washington Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 5:41 am

Over the years I have discussed with Mous Chahine many of his novel ways of of getting important measurements of infrared radiation from Earth oriented satellite instruments. He fully understood the importance of such measurements to the broader climate research community. Secondly and equally important he was always gentleman as well as being a scientific and engineering genius.
    Warren Washington

46. Fred O'Callaghan Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 9:23 am

It was an honor and privilege to work closely with Mous for over 27 years on the AIRS Project. He was a true friend and mentor to so many in the JPL, NASA, and atmospheric science communities. Mous was always kind, gentle and patient in his interactions with all, even on the tough problems. I always looked forward to a meeting with Mous to share current events and search for answers to the many challenges we faced over the years. So many investigators and contributors in world climate and weather organizations will sorely miss his expert leadership of the AIRS Science Team. We were all pleased to see Mous’s brilliant vision for atmospheric science culminate in the on-going, very successful AIRS mission operation. I have always attributed our success to the relationship between Mous and everyone on the project, including NASA and the contractors – a sense of confidence and trust in his leadership.

The passing of Mous is a great loss to me as he was a close personal friend – my best friend for many years, which made work so enjoyable and productive.
    Mous focused his life on what he loved most – his family and his work at JPL – and he lived by his motto “Always Make Progress.”

Mous left behind an extraordinarily strong, competent team. We will do our best to continue this work, be happy, and follow the path and high standards he lived by.

Our deepest sympathies go to the Chahine family from my family at this time of great loss.

Fred O’Callaghan

47. Mark Abbott Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 11:12 am

After the launch of Seasat and Nimbus-7 (with CZCS on board), Mous Chahine and Stan Wilson developed a plan to encourage further development of “satellite oceanography.” The plan was to hire three faculty with joint appointments at Scripps Institution of Oceanography and JPL, with the expectation that these positions would cross-pollinate ideas in oceanography and remote sensing. After hiring Bob Stewart in physical oceanography, the other appointments languished in the Scripps system. But Mous kept encouraging his colleagues, and eventually I interviewed for the position in biological oceanography. I remember meeting Mous for the first time and becoming engaged in his vision for Earth remote sensing. After a 4-year process, Scripps hired me in 1982, and thus began a long association with Mous. He continually mentored this small group of young oceanographers, and always pushed us (in a quiet way) to strive to be better. He was tenacious in this vision, and I will always be grateful for giving me my first “real job.” The whole Earth science community will miss him!

48. Beth Emmons Says:
    April 17th, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Mous was my first supervisor when I became a full-time JPL employee in 1977. He was the sweetest, most supportive person of me and my career since then and not a time went by that he would not stop me in the mall and inquire about my family and about what I was working on at the time. I have been on leave for several months, so I was not able to speak with him as often as we usually did. He will be incredibly missed by all of us and our deepest sympathies to his family.

Beth & Bob Emmons

49. Tony Freeman Says:
    April 18th, 2011 at 6:43 am

Mous was a great scientist and a great man. I got to work with him over the last few years and grew to admire his persistence and dedication to AIRS and to the science that this incredible instrument can do. In particular, his legacy in extracting the signatures of greenhouse gases from AIRS data will carry on, since it constitutes a climate record of great significance.
    I will miss his challenges to the rest of us to do better - he provide a wonderful example for us in how to lead a scientific endeavor.

Tony

50. Albert Magallanes Says:
    April 18th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

In 1978, Mous was the Manager of the Science Division (a.k.a. Earth and Space Sciences), when I joined as an Academic Part time. It was he who ushered me into the age of technology, as my first computer, an Otrona Attache, was provided by him. Over the years our paths have crossed many times, and I will always admire his kindness, optimism and genuine love for the research community and JPL at large.

My deepest regrets are extended to his family, but I would also like to personally thank them for sharing such a great man!

Albert Magallanes

51. Bob McClatchey Says:
    April 18th, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I first met Mous during the period 1963-1967 when we both worked in the Space Science Division at JPL. During this period, my research was on radiative transfer and remote sensing, while his work centered on Fluid Physics that was the focus of his doctoral activities. Lew Kaplan was my mentor and he also became a mentor for Mous. Sometime after I left JPL in 1967, Mous transitioned his interests into the field of satellite remote sensing - and the rest is history. I’ve had the privilege of working with Mous over the years, of visiting occasionally and discussing technical issues of mutual interest. He always made himself available when I called. I will miss him very much. My condolences to his family.

52. Bill Blackwell Says:
    April 19th, 2011 at 7:29 pm

In addition to his brilliance and unequaled passion for research, Mous was one of the friendliest people I have ever met. A conversation with Mous was always memorable and peppered with his encouragement, enthusiasm, wit, and wisdom. He was one of a kind and will be sorely missed.

53. Stan Wilson Says:
    April 20th, 2011 at 8:09 am

As the new Oceans Program Manager at NASA HQ, I met Mous on my first trip to JPL in early 1979, soon after he had become Manager of the newly formed Division 32 (Earth & Space Science). He was a source of continuing advice and encouragement as we assessed the performance of the short-lived Seasat satellite. As we came to appreciate what a success Seasat had been, we recognized that a strong in-house oceanographic capability was needed to complement the existing remote sensing expertise at JPL, and Mous was a critical partner helping establish such a program.

Especially when he became Chief Scientist in 1984, he supported our efforts to co-locate the growing oceanographic program, and together we made the case to secure NASA funding in FY85 for – as he told it – the first major construction at JPL in over a decade, Building 300 which initiated expansion of the laboratory toward the east.

Mous also worked behind the scenes in support of our FY85 new start for NSCAT, which ultimately would fly on the Japanese ADEOS, as well as the FY87 new start for TOPEX in partnership with the French Poseidon. He was a gentleman, held us to high standards, and took great pleasure in helping us succeed. Mous was the great facilitator who helped the oceanography program grow, flourish and blossom at JPL, and for this we will be forever indebted to him.

54. Eric Fetzer Says:
    April 20th, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Mous had a rare combination of leadership, intelligence, tenacity, genuine affection for his colleagues, and a great sense of humor. Through AIRS, he gave many of us a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to do new and important research. I am honored to have worked with Mous and will alway miss him.

55. Bill Patzert Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Mous Chahine had a great passion for science and deep affection for scientists. He really understood that the deepest of all human needs is the need to be appreciated. In the 35 years that I knew Mous, he was always interested and encouraging to me and others all over the World. Mous hired me in 1983 and put my career on a trajectory that was beyond what I ever imagined. Without Mous, “Oceanography From Space” would have never happened and many illustrious careers would not have been nurtured by NASA and JPL. The fantastic fleet of altimetry missions that JPL championed … TOPEX/Poseidon, Jason-1 and the still flying Jason-2 … are one of his many legacies. Thank you Mous! I’ll miss your cheerful personality, encouraging words, and optimistic vision. Mous was a mensch and I’ll really miss him.

56. Stan Sander Says:
    April 23rd, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Not only did Mous Chahine provide the creative spark, inspiration and leadership for the tremendously successful AIRS project, but he dedicated himself to creating an outstanding environment for research at JPL. His concern for the well-being of research at JPL led to the creation of many innovative initiatives during his tenure as Chief Scientist including the JPL-Caltech Postdoctoral Program and the Senior Research Scientist program.
    I have always valued the discussions about science and the practice of science that I had with Mous. He has left an indelible mark on JPL, and I will miss him greatly.

57. David Diner Says:
    April 24th, 2011 at 1:13 am

I still cannot get used to the idea of walking across the mall and not running into Mous. He was always available for a friendly chat, and consistently generous with thoughtful advice and words of encouragement. I’m forever grateful to him for starting me on my career as a JPL employee and for mentoring me over the course of 30 years. What an extraordinary human being, accomplished scientist, and consummate gentleman he was. Like so many others, I miss him dearly and am terribly saddened by his loss. With heartfelt condolences to his family, I’m thankful and fortunate to have known him. His memory remains an everlasting inspiration.

58. Junjie liu Says:
    April 24th, 2011 at 10:35 am

I have been working with AIRS data since I was a graduate student, and I (with Eugenia, Inez and Ji-Sun) am lucky to be the first one using AIRS CO2 in data assimilation. As a young scientist, I appreciate very much Mous’ s encouragement, and help. Mous is one of the kindest people I have ever met. As everyone else, I am impressed by his great devotedness to science and to AIRS. He is my role model.

59. Jie Gong Says:
    April 24th, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I met Mous when I first joined JPL in 2010 and attended the spring AIRS conference held in Caltech. He showed a great interest to my work, and one day afternoon, he just stopped by my office like an old friend, and we had a very nice scientific discussion. I never had the feeling that he was an “established celebrity” but rather a scientist who was always as enthusiastic at new findings like a child seeing a new toy. The last time I met him, I could see he was so excited about the AIRS team progress on CO2 retrieval in the middle atmosphere that he proudly showed his feeling to me like showing off his child.

All my memories about Mous are impressive and warm. I wish I could be as good as a scientist as he was, and as good as a human being as he was. R.I.P.

60. W. Timothy Liu Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 10:42 am

I was shocked and deeply sadden when I learnt of Mous passing: Mous has been my mentor and friend for over three decades. It took almost a month for the reality to sink into me.

The last time I saw Mous was in January in the Seattle airport on our ways home from the AMS meeting. He asked me about Stan Wilson, whom he has not seen for many year. When I told him that Stan was in the same meeting and he overlooked his presentation, he expressed such regret and disappointment that revealed his kind human character and treasure for friendship. He kept discussing with me the results of some science papers he just received, demonstrating his constantly-working and sharp scientific mind. He still mentored me as what he did more than thirty years ago when he first hired me to JPL.

It was an exciting and confusing time in 1979 when I came to JPL, just fresh out of school. I was pulled to different directions: to pursue a program in air-sea interaction as part of NASA’s Climate Research Program, following the guideline of a JPL/SIO Workshop chaired by Prof. Goody and sponsored by Schiffer/Tilford, and to join a new oceanography program sponsored by Stan Wilson; there are even several oceanography leaderships inside JPL. Mous kindly showed me how to navigate smoothly amidst these currents and sheltered me for some stability with integrity. He introduced me to work with famous oceanographers, like Peter Niiler and Bill Patzerts, strengthening my oceanography credential to complement my background in atmospheric sciences. I have benefitted from those advices all these years.

My career has run parallel to Mous’ endeavours, from air-sea interaction to atmospheric thermodynamic, to water cycle, and to carbon cycle. Satellite missions and NASA programs come and go, but Mous’ vision and character-example live on.

61. David Halpern Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 10:54 am

When Mous and I met in the mid-1970s during an oceanographic experiment called NORPAX, he was fascinated that I could place a buoy on the sea surface and keep it there for six months with instruments beneath it, and I was fascinated by his dream of using satellites to study the ocean. In the mid-1980s, Mous attracted me to JPL, and I have been thankful to him ever since.

Mous was very gracious and also opened doors for me at Caltech, such as lecturing on Alumni Day and serving as Visiting Professor, and he was very supportive of my teaching at UCLA. He felt that serving in Washington was good for the scientist and for the science community and, thus, encouraged me to accept opportunities there over the last few years.

Mous always had time to chat and thoroughly enjoyed discussing all aspects of a scientific issue, as well as being interested in my family and me. On my visits to JPL during my IPA years in Washington, I always made it a priority to visit with Mous. His enthusiasm for science was so rewarding and infectious, and these many occasions meant so much to me. I shall deeply miss the friendly discussions with Mous. How he accomplished his own exceptional work and mentored so many of us certainly sets an example of outstanding leadership.

When I joined the JPL family, I didn’t realize that I would also connect with Mous’ wonderful family. Marina was the favorite teacher of both our children at the high school, Tony ensures that my wife and I maintain our eyesight, and our son graduated from high school with Steve. Our family sends our deepest, heartfelt sympathies to Mous’ family.

Mous, equal parts scholar, scientist and gentleman, will never be forgotten.

62. Diana Parseghian Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 10:58 am

Mous was a caring and hardworking person. He was never too above anyone or too busy to say hello. I saw his smiling face just a few days before he passed. It was a shock to all of us in Division 32 to hear he was no longer with us. My deepest sympathies to his family. I can only imagine the pain you must have felt losing such a wonderful man. It was a pleasure knowing Mous for the short time I did. He was one of JPL’s pillars and his memory and work will not be forgotten. Please take comfort in knowing that he touched so many of us here. Shoukran Mous!

63. Hui Su Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 11:01 am

I had many warm memories of chatting with Mous. He was always very encouraging and enthusiastic about any science topics. I remember vividly that Mous once asked me so many engaging questions when I gave a presentation on using conditional sampling approach to evaluate climate models’ cloud parameterizations. Those questions helped me to think deeper and work harder. I saw Mous at many science seminars and I was very inspired by his incessant pursuit of science even with so much achievements he had already made. He was a real scientist. We will miss him forever.

64. Wedad Abdou Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 11:44 am

I have been accustomed to come across Mous down the hall ways of building 169. I Cannot get used to the idea that this is not going to happen again!. He was not only a great scientist, but also a wonderful gentleman. I am deeply saddened by his loss and I miss him very much.

65. Joan Feynman Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Whenever I spoke to Mous I felt that JPl was a wonderful place to do science. He always encouraged new Ideas, taking them seriously and evaluated them carefully. His quiet manor gave me confidence. I miss his presence sorely.

66. Luke Chen Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Besides his family, Mous had dedicated a large part of his life to his work at JPL. He was always enthusiastic to new endeavors. He had the ability to inspiring others. He is my great mentor and will be missed.

67. Kevin Bowman Says:
    April 25th, 2011 at 4:55 pm

It was a great pleasure to work with Mous over the last year as we worked on defining the next generation of IR atmospheric sounders. His enthusiasm and deep understanding for what these instruments provide to the scientific community were deeply appreciated. I will miss those conversations and his leadership.

My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

68. Stephen Licata Says:
    April 26th, 2011 at 8:05 am

Mous is one of those rare individuals that successfully combined great personal achievement with youthful, optimistic enthusiasm, mature wisdom, personal and intellectual integrity, humility, and a generous willingness to help others. I first met Mous many years ago at a public outreach event for the Mars Observer launch and was amazed that the Lab Scientist could be so approachable, Now having worked for thirteen years on the AIRS Project, the last year or so closely with Mous on a daily basis, I feel that I finally have experienced that elusive but exciting intersection of science and engineering that can make JPL such a great place to work. Thank you, Mous, for just being yourself and always trying to bring out the best in others!

69. Baijun Tian Says:
    May 8th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

March 2011 was one of the hardest months in my life because I lost my father in China and a father-like scientist, Mous, at JPL. I was shocked and saddened deeply to know the passing of Mous on the night of 03/26/2011, after I came back from my father’s funeral in China. It was very hard for me to believe both my father and Mous were all gone. Mous is a kind person, always with smile in his face. Many times, I saw him slowly walking at JPL campus between buildings 180 and 233. Each time, when Mous saw me, he would stop, smile, and chat with me for a while with a great interest on my work. He is a great scientist and a great leader as evidenced by the success of the AIRS project and science division at JPL. It is my great honor to work in the AIRS project under the great leadership of Mous. I would keep his motto in mind for my future career: ‘Always Makes Progress’.

70. Antoinette Johnson Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 1:05 pm

The first time I saw Mous was in a meeting and he was speaking about work ethics and philosopy and he was so upbeat and positive about people doing their best and giving 100%. He was echoing my thoughts and I was instantly inspired and motivated. I knew then that in all my dealings with Mous he would give his best and I would do the same for him. I will never forget his smiling face, his fair, calm and positive manner and will always be inispired by his memory.

71. Amine Daouk Says:
    May 30th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Dr Moustafa Chahine is a graduate of our largest Makassed Schools - al horj- just like his brothers an nephews. And we are proud of him.
    His memorial at the JPL auditorium was most sentimental and moving, obviously a great leader as Dr Chahine was will only get the best obituaries from his peers and Family.

Mr Chahine’s name will always be on the Honour List of his Makassed both in Lebanon and in the United States, for we knew that he had a large soft spot for Makassed, and we hope we will have the opportunity to commemorate him in our midst.

Our deep condolences go to Mrs Chahine and the family in the US and to Salma and Mohamad and family in Lebanon

Board of Trustees of Makassed Association